Ahhh, the infamous 30. The year everyone fears to turn. The milestone in everyone’s life that can make you shake in your boots. The onset of overactive brain function thinking of all the things you thought and should have accomplished by now. I mean WHERE DID YOUR 20’S GO??? It’s like the inevitable “end of my 20’s meltdown”. All of sudden everything you wanted to do but haven’t because you thought there was still plenty of time comes flooding in like the dam broke. And you don’t even know what those things are or were but somehow you just know you have to be freaking out because “I’M TURNING 3O” and can no longer can say “I’m in my 20’s“.
But not me. I had a hard time turning 25. That was a tough one, but 30? ah, piece of cake. 30 is the new 20, right? Learned that from Desperate Housewives! Besides, I think I turned 30 on my 25th birthday. I won’t lie and say I’m not bummed because I no longer can say “I’m in my 20’s”. AND not to mention….I can’t give Tom flack about being 38 and how old he is since I am still in my twenties. (Which I know you can just imagine how much Tom is enjoying this birthday for me. He’s eating it up that I’m going to be 30 and is hoping it’ll shut me up. And it will. For 2 years. Till he’s 40. hee hee).
But I’m excited because 30’s are the best years of your life from what I hear. Now that I’m turning “dirty” 30, I am old enough to have learned from my mistakes and young enough to chart a new direction in my life. And now I can say I remember when I was in my 20’s.
This is the year of self-assurance and growth – becoming one with my own self and comfortable in my skin. Which luckily for the most part, I already am.
I’ve never written out specific accomplishments I wanted before 30 but I have always pictured myself with a good career, at least 2 kids, a house, a husband, and I always wanted to finally go back to school to get a degree. Just living the typical American Dream. Well, the GOOD news is. I have 99% of what I want in life. I have the amazing husband, a decent job (not my dream but I’m happy), 4 great stepkids/dog/nieces, amazing friends, a house I am proud to call HOME and I AM living the American Dream. Now maybe I can focus on going back to school but I could not have asked for more from life and am excited for my next 30 years. So I say BRING IT ON 30!!!
Here’s a list of why being 30 DOESN’T SUCK!!!
1. I get to party like a rock star and celebrate being “dirty” 30 -which I did Friday and Saturday night – more to come about that!
2. I get to say “dirty” thirty!
3. I have stopped trying to find myself and started creating myself
4. I have great experiences from my past and so now I get to add new ones
5. Don’t have to worry about being 30 because I just AM
6. I may be turning 30 but I will always be the baby in my family
7. It’s either death or turn 30 – so I say HELLLLLLLLLLL-O 30!
8. Turning 30 makes you appreciate your 20’s and look forward to your 40s
9. I can laugh and nod in agreement at the “getting old” jokes
10. With each new wrinkle and gray hair that may appear, it just means I am living. So I will Embrace it. Love it. LIVE it.
~HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! ~
a friend sent this to me earlier today saying I would get a lot of mileage out of a shirt like this…..I think she’s probably right! What do you think?